Thursday, June 19, 2008

Buying a Bow Arm Morris Chair, Part 3


Bought! 


Got over to the Fedde's "Traditional" which houses their Stickley showroom. Kim, the salesperson*, was very helpful and also seemed interested in Jungian Psychology, partially because she is reading Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss.

Brought just Jacob today. He's my number one chair tester. He really likes chairs and has no problem spending an hour in a chair store sitting on seating over and over again, and answering questions like, "does this chair make me look little?"

But to the point: I have come to the conclusion that a bow arm Morris Chair is my chair. Also, among the Stickley models, a chair known as the "Gus" is my favorite. The Gus is slightly smaller (30 1/2 inches wide instead of 35 inches wide) which suits me because I am a slightly smaller human being. And it has open space instead of spindles or slats

I figured I'd just take a look and then go ahead and buy the replica of the standard bow arm Morris that's made by Sam Moore. But Kim tells me they have a Gus chair in stock that is on clearance (40% off msrp)! 

Well, no more story to tell. I bought it. Here it is:

 
The finish is Stickley's #53, Oak Park, named after the Chicago suburb that was the home of architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
 
Stickley "Gus" Bow Arm Morris Chair, model #89-2340




*Note: I have never had better experiences with salespeople than I have had with Arts and Crafts/Mission furniture salespeople. They all seem low-key, genuine, unhurried, conversational, no pressure, no airs, surprisingly down-to-earth given that they are selling $3000 chairs. 

So thank you Kim and Shirley at Fedde's, Gabriel at Historic Lighting and Cove-Lee at Pasadena Furniture Company. You all helped make this a lot of fun.

No comments: